CHIEF/DR. MATTHIAS OKO OFFOBOCHE
A. PERSONAL DATA:
RESIDENTIAL ADDRESS: �The Garden�, Ijaja Estate, Okuku,
Yala Local Government Area,
Cross River State.
OFFICE ADDRESS: Plot 30, Cairo Street, Wuse 11,
P. O. Box 12781, Abuja.
GSM: 0803 3139698
DATE OF BIRTH: 30th December, 1936
RELIGION: Roman Catholic Christian
Knight of St. Mulumba � 1978 to present.
(a) Christ The King School, Okpoma, Yala 1944-47, 1949
(b) St. Theresa�s School, Ogboja, Ogoja 1948
(c) St. Benedict�s School, Ogoja 1950-1951
(a) Preliminary Teacher�s College (PTC) Obudu, 1952
(b) Mary Knoll Secondary School, Okuku, Yala, 1953-57
(c) St. Patrick�s Higher School, Ikot Ansa, Calabar, 1958-59
(a) National University of Ireland at University College, Dublin, 1960-1966
(b) Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, London, 1971-1973
1. M.B;B.CH;B.A.O. (National University of Ireland) 1966
2. D.OBST.R.C.O.G., LONDON 1968
3. M.R.C.O.G; LONDON 1973
4. Fellow, West African College of Surgeons (FWACS) 1981.
5. Fellow, National Post-graduate Medical College of Nigeria (F.M.C.O.G.) 1982
6. Fellow, Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (F.R.C.O.G) 1987
7. Fellow, International College of Surgeons (F.I.C.S.) 1991
C. EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES:
1. Long Distance Runner 880 1948-1951
2. Class Monitor 1950-1951
2. Member/Secretary Boys Scout 1950-1951
1. Senior School Prefect II 1953-1957
2. Dormitory Prefect 1953-1957
3. School Librarian 1953-1957
4. First Eleven Dormitory Footballer 1953-1957
5. President, Dancing Club 1954-1957
6. Leader, Legion of Mary 1955-1957
7. Member, Debating Society 1957-1959
1. Treasurer, Nigeria Union of Great Britain and Ireland,
Irish Branch 1963-1964
2. Member, Medical Society, University College, Dublin 1960-1966
3. Member, British Council, Dublin 1961-1966
4. Treasurer, Junior Hospital Doctors Association,
Essex Country Hospital, Colchester, ENGLAND 1966-1967
5. Patron of Many Organizations, Societies, Clubs.
2. British Medical Council
3. Nigerian Medical Council
4. Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Nigeria
5. Nigerian Medical Association
6. Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, London
7. International Federation of Gynaecologists and Obstetricians
E. WORKING EXPERIENCE:
1. National Health Service Hospitals, Great Britain 1966-1969; 1971-1973
i. Essex County Hospital, Colchester, Essex Jul. 1966 - Jan. 1967
ii. St. Mary�s Hospital, Isle of Wight Feb. 1967 � Jul. 1967
iii. Greenbank Maternity Hospital, Darlington Sept. 1967 � Aug. 1968
iv. General Hospital, Newcastle � on � Tyme 1968 � 1969
v. Hospital for Women, Leeds, England 1972
vi. The Infirmary, Bradford, England 1973
Other Hospitals in Oldham and Chesterfield, England.
vii. Maternity Hospital, Waterford, Republic of Ireland. 1971
2. Medical Superintendent, Joint Hospital, Ikom, CRS 1969-1971
3. Consultant Gynaecologist in-charge, R.C.M. Hospital, Ogoja 1973-1978
GENERATOR OF EMPLOYMENT AS:
i. Proprietor and Medical Director, Offoboche Specialist
Hospital and Maternity Home, (64 beds) Okuku, Yala 1983- Present.
ii. Chairman, Boch Limited 1983 � Present
iii. Chairman, Ikpala Estates Limited 1983- Present
iv. Member, Calabar Chamber of Commerce.
v. Promoter/Chairman, Yala Committee Bank Limited
vi. Chairman, Ikpala Estates Hotels, 59/61, Mission Road,
vii. Proprietor, MD/CEO: �The Central Clinic�, Cairo Street, Wuse II, Abuja.
F. POLITICAL OFFICES HELD:
1. Director. Federal Housing Authority, Lagos 1976-1979
2. Member, State and National Executive Committees,
National Party of Nigeria 1978-1983
3. Deputy Governor, Old Cross River State 1st October,1979-30th
to September, 1983
SPECIFIC DUTIES INCLUDED:
i. Deputy Chairman, State Executive Council 1979-1983
ii. Occasional Chairman, State Executive Council 1979-1983
iii. Chairman, Cabinet Subcommittees 1979-1983
iv. Chairman, Targets Committee 1979-1983
v. Responsibility for Chieftaincy Matters 1979-1982
vi. Supervision of State Government Parastatals 1979-1983
vii. Supervision of Ministries of Health and Education 1980-1983
viii. Commissioner for Local Government 1982-1983
4. Member, Defunct NRC and UNCP;
5. Member, PDP.
6. Member, Elders Committee, Cross River State.
7. President, South-South Coalition in which capacity I led a delegation to support the President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo GCFR at the height of the impeachment move in 2003.
8. Member, South-South Peoples Assembly
9. Cross River State Delegate to the 2005 National Political Reform Conference.
1. Author of Book titled: �Eradicating Malaria by the Use of DDT,
�The Politics of Malaria Control� published - August, 2004.
2. Occasion: NEPAD Business Group International Business Forum. Date: 27th-29th January, 2005. Discussed use of DDT in Malaria Control with Mr. President at the interactive session.
3. Occasion: The National Association of Resident Doctors: Annual Scientific Conference. Presented a Paper title: Eradicating Malaria by the use of DDT. Date: September 2004.
4. Occasion: NAPEP Meeting with Jeffery Sacks, Adviser to Koffi Anan, Secretary General of the United Nations. Date: 13/7/05
5. Occasion: Integrated Vector Management Meeting at Obudu Ranch Hotel. Date 20th �21st July, 2005.
1. Anaemias Associated with Intestinal Disease.
2. Culdoscopy in the Investigation of Infertility.
3. Prevention of Prolonged Labour.
4. The Problem of Underdevelopment: The Ogoja Case.
5. Affordable System of Health Care for our people.
6. Medical Practice in Nigeria Today, to the Graduating Doctors at the University of Calabar.
7. Health Care and Poverty Eradication in Cross River State with the sub theme: �Roll Back Malaria in Cross River State�.
8. Eradicating Malaria by the Use of DDT: The Politics of Malaria Control at NEPAD Business Group International Business Forum
I. SOCIAL RECOGNITION:
i. Merit Award from Cross River State Government
ii. �Flag of Honour� awarded by Cross River State Medical Association
iii. Distinguished Medical Practitioner Award by the Guild of General and Private Medical Practitioners of Nigeria
2. Several Chieftaincy Titles in Cross River and Akwa Ibom State eg.
i. �Ntui Ochima Biji� of Ikom;
ii. �Obong Uforo� of Ikono, Akwa Ibom State
iii. �Idachi� of Oba, Okpoma, Yala
3. Patron, Many Clubs and Organizations.
4. Listed in:
i. Africa Who�s Who and Newswatch Who�s Who
ii. Dictionary of International Biography
J. NATIONAL HONOUR:
Conferred with National Honour of OON, 2002
K. COUNTRIES VISITED:
United Kingdom, Ireland, USA, Canada, Jamaica, Germany, France,
Italy, Belgium, Sweden, Romania, Holland, India, Hong Kong, China.
ii. Hunting Small Game